From:
Mark Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 01:56:46 -0400
On the subject of "superscedure"...

I had a hell of time this summer trying to figure out if several of my
hives were either in swarm mode or Supersceding.  I am aware the
superscedure cells usually appear on the face of a frame of comb, as
opposed to swarm cells which usually tucked near the bottom of a frame.
However, my problem (ie. dilema/confusion) begins when I find both cells in
the same hive, same brood box, and/or on the same frame.

Do I cut out the swarm cells and the apparent superscedure cells, or leave
them and see if the hive swarms?  I'm not sure of the procedure.  I don't
want to interfere with a natural superscedure progression, however, I don't
want the hive to swarm either.

Are there any other behavioral or physical clues that I can observe and try
factor into the determination of whether the hive is in superscedure or
swarm mode?

Do any of you Bee gods out there have a strategy or approach to handling
and/or diagnosing accurately such situations?

Much help would be appreciated, as I can't seem to find much discussion or
explanation on the topic of superscedure in the many texts that I own.

Cheers,
Mark Walker
Delta, BC
Canada