From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 1996 17:30:17 -0400
  REGARDING           Feeder bags really work!

Many new beekeepers often write in to express how much help the BEE-L is to
them; I thought I'd add a testimonial from an old-timer.  I followed the
discussion earlier on the use of zip-lock plastic bags as syrup feeders,
initially with much skepticism, because I'd had several catastrophes over the
years with feeders leaking and drowning out a colony.  "Baggies" seemed
perfectly suited to do the same thing.  But with so many delighted with them,
I thought I'd give them a try too.  I am now a new convert to this method of
feeding - it's the greatest!  The things actually hold syrup, even with a slit
on the top!  They allow the most rapid taking of syrup I've ever seen.  I
filled gallon bags a bit over half full, and they were cleaned out in a day.
And they sure are cheap, compared with feeder pails (whose rims tend to break
for me, especially in the cold).  Even using them at the rate of one a day,
they are much more economical than pails.  So far, I can't find anything to
complain about (Oh, yes.  Don't lean them against the corner of your hive-top
brick.)   Give them a try, everyone.

Ted Fischer