From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2007 10:11:29 -0500
Greetings!

I would hope that people contributing to an open forum would read over
their submissions before sending them off, because they will be read
by hundreds, if not thousands of people and will be archived for many
years to come. Typos and misspellings are one thing but some of the
postings lately fly in the face of modern science and the correct
understanding of bee biology and animal husbandry. For the record, I
support the goals and methods of "Organic Farming" but I most
strenuously object to propaganda and a general anti-science bias that
sometimes goes along with it.

J. Waggle wrote:
>Even the most harmless treatment in the world will still spread a major
>contamination,  potentially contributing a greater long term harm to an
>entire breeding population of honeybees.

This seems like the most extreme point of view I have heard yet. It is
one thing to say "all chemicals are BAD" but now you say "all
treatments are bad"? Are you saying no matter how harmless a treatment
appears to be, it will harm the bees anyway? Do you forget the word
"treatment" includes all sorts of non-chemical methods, such as
freezing drone brood, etc. ? Better think this one over a bit more.

D. Lusby wrote:
> I am replying, long winded maybe but trying to tell you how
> I feel and think about things.

That response, which must be read several times, reminded me of the
movie "Billy Madison" where the principal said: "At no point in your
rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that
could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now
dumber for having listened to it." My fervent hope is that we can help
the bee industry by bringing to it more and better information, but
there is enough confusion already.

pb