From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2007 15:48:47 -0400
Everything Dick Marron pointed out as major calamities to our planet
have happened in the past many times. The dust bowl of the 30s can
easily happen again. Weather is not static. The polar icecap does not
stay in one place. It actually moves from one side to the other.Polar
bears can swim 60 miles for good reason. They know what it is like up
there and that they have to go long distances for food. Giant ice sheets
have been breaking off from Antarctica for centuries. We just have not
been down there long enough to know what is normal and what is not.
Several "poster child for GW" glaciers have been dropped because they
are now growing. Kilimanjaro's snow cap is not receding because of GW,
another poster child.

Even the proponents of GW say that we really cannot do anything to stop
it. Kyoto, if fully implemented will only slow it by a few years. And
the US is the only developed country that came close to the Kyoto
targets, and it is not a signatory. Most others want out, like Canada
and NZ.

We are allied with China, Japan and Australia to solve the human
emissions problem scientifically, not by income re-distribution. If you
look at the carbon credit system, it really does nothing to stop carbon
emissions, just lets you do so with permission and big bucks to the
middlemen. (Think Enron.)

The most interesting thing about CO2 is that, as I said, it increases
after rapid warming starts at the end of an inter-glacial period, but it
plummets after the cold sis established. CO2 lags climate change. So
maybe, if we really do get a handle on CO2 and reduce it, the Law of
Unintended Consequences will kick in and the Ice Age we have been
forestalling will arrive.

The problem with something like GW is that you really cannot discuss it
rationally anymore, since the "science on GW is settled". Actually, it
is now quasi-religious and a very political (because lots of money is
involved) honey pot (see I got beekeeping in).

So I suggest we leave this thread and let it die, but only after whoever
wishes gets the last word. I certainly would not want to shut off debate.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine