From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 2004 11:44:01 -0400
I wanted to add something to the thread on corn syrup, particularly in
regards to price comparisons with sugar syrup.

First, there are two common grades of corn syrup.  High Fructose Corn Syrup
("HFCS") 42 and HFCS 55.  Don't ask me what the numbers stand for, I don't
know.  But the HFCS 42 has fewer solids (more on solids later) than the HFCS
55.  Very important is that the HFCS 42 is likely to ferment if not
immediately taken up by the bees, while the HFCS 55 will not ferment.  These
grades sell at an exact multiple of their solids, so one is not really
getting a 'better price' with the HFCS 42, although it appears to be less
expensive.

As I recall the HFCS 55 is 85% solids, meaning 85% sugar, with the remainder
being water.  Think about making a sugar syrup that is 85% sugar!  Even with
a ½" drill and a drywall mixer getting that percent sugar dissolved would be
a major task.

Then there are the bees to consider.  Somewhere in the dark recesses of my
mind, which operated better when I was young than they do now, I recall that
the bees have to do something to the sugar (invert it?), and in the process
they concentrate the mixture.  The HFCS 55 is all ready concentrated to the
needed level (I recall) so it is more immediately available to the bees as
food, while the HFCS 42 and your kitchen/garage 50/50 sugar syrup needs to
be concentrated to the HFCS 55 level.  All those dummies that 'save money'
by buying the HFCS 42 are not really 'saving' anything, as they have to feed
more (pounds or gallons) to give the bees the same amount of usable feed
that they would get with the HFCS 55.  (I hope someone out there can better
express this than I.to make it more clear to the group, and so I can
relearn.)

If one were to make a price per pound comparison between HFCS 55 and
home-prepared sugar syrup, ON THE BASIS OF THE POUNDS OF SUGAR CONTAINED IN
EACH, HFCS 55 would always be less expensive.  Even with sugar at $.20 a
pound.  About once a year our local 'big box' stores have it at this price
as a come on.  $.35 a pound is more common.

What should a beekeeper expect to pay for HFCS 55 in 60 pound pails?  The
Cleveland Syrup price of $380 for 24 buckets, plus shipping, is a good price
(assuming it is HFCS 55, and not HFCS 42).  Deduct the cost of the bucket
($3.00), and it is $.21 cents a pound plus shipping.  Betterbee in
Greenwich, NY sells it for  $.30, plus shipping.

Can a beekeeper do better?  If you have a 'contact' check with your local
Pepsi or Coke bottler.  They use carloads of the stuff.  Getting them to put
it into your 5 gallon pails will be the challenge.  But I know those who do
it.  Appeal to their obligation to help keep honeybees alive and well.

Three firms dominate the commercial beekeeper market working as brokers to
deliver corn syrup.  Dadant, Mann Lake, and  B & B Honey Farms.  Call them
for a commercial beekeeper near you (100 miles?) who buys full or half
loads.  My guess is that they would gladly make it easy for you to fill (and
pay for) a few 60 pound pails.

Finally, most State beekeeping associations (compared to local associations)
have many commercial beekeepers as members.  Call the President of yours and
ask for names of those who bring in full or half loads of corn syrup.

I hope this helps.

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner Ross Rounds, Inc.
Manufacturers of Ross Rounds Comb