From:
Mike Rossander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 2010 06:05:54 -0800
re: "If the information contained in the book "A Spring without Bees" (other
than Michaels stated opinion on the facts presented) was not correct then
Bayer would have sued to stop publication."

Don't be ridiculous.  The standard for libel - the legal standard required to be successful in a lawsuit - requires not only that the facts alleged be wrong but that the you are able to prove that writer *intended* to cause harm by writing them.  Proving intent is essentially impossible.  The courts will recognize almost any alternate rationalization, even one created long after the fact.

That's not to say that "A Spring Without Bees" is incorrect or even that I consider the legal standard for libel to be bad policy.  (I have my own opinions about the book but they're not relevant here.)  The point is that a lack of a lawsuit is absolutely no proof of anything in either direction.

Mike Rossander