From:
Eric Abell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Dec 1995 10:35:35 -0700
> According to my experience colonies need warm upper cover. I would guess
> for northern conditions as much as 5 - (8?) cm of styrofoam or similar
> material would be needed. This is substantial help for colonies during
> wintering (and in any time in the year). Small colonies need also warm
> walls. During the winter two entrances are good together with the vertical
> orientation of the hive space. Stores should be mostly above the upper
> entrance. Bees must have enough time to addopt themselves to this
> arrangment (from august).
> Best regards,
> Vladimir Ptacek
> [log in to unmask]                    phone: .42/5/41129 562
> Fac. Sci., Dpt. Anim. Physiol.        fax:   .42/5/41211 214
> Masaryk University.
> 611 37 Brno, Czech Republ.

I enjoyed your comments.  Would you please expand on your statement about
the stores being mostly above the upper entrance.  I have always provided
an upper entrance at the top of the hive. My feeling is that the moisture
must be removed and I have wondered if I am losing too much heat.
Perhaps there is someone who has done some work with upper entrances at
various levels who could comment on this.

Eric Abell                           email: [log in to unmask]
Gibbons, AB, T0A 1N0
Canada
(403) 998 3143