Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Jun 2016 18:04:41 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
> Have you got a chance to check your queen to see if she survived the alcohol wash?an inspection and looking for eggs and / or the queen
> will give us an answer. Although this is a single queen, but you may be a lucky one if survived.

This was last August. A quick update almost a year later: although I have no idea whether it's the same queen or her daughter (she wasn't marked), this colony has come through the winter bursting at the seams and I've just put on a fourth supper for them fill. They might've swarmed in the spring, as I noticed a break in brood production in early May and fewer bees, though still filling two brood boxes.

In any case, don't put a queen through an alcohol wash, though this one was a sturdy one and didn't seem to mind. Interestingly, it's the only colony that I cannot work without gloves. They are not aggressive, but for some reason no matter how hard I try to be gentle and slow in my movements, 2-3 bees will sting my hands within 5 minutes of the hive being open. Other than that, they don't take flight, stay on the frames and let me examine them without problem. Maybe they haven't forgiven me yet? :-)

Przemek

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2