From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 2009 09:05:16 -0400
>  I always ran two deeps over winter, but think now that three is
> better for prolific bees.

Two is ok for winter, but come spring. Gives you a little time. Those
with extra room won't start swarm preps as soon. Doubles might
already have sealed cells, where triples won't have anything, or
maybe just cups with an egg or very young larva. Running larger
broodnests with these prolific queens leads to huge
colonies...especially if they are able to keep up the level of brood
rearing. To me, it's all about population. Powerful colonies can take
advantage of what flows come along.

Like this one...:-)

http://s241.photobucket.com/albums/ff61/frenchhill/?action=view&current=DSC_0985.jpg

Not! Just another Bee Bomb. Drop one of these into a few boxes of
foundation and stand back! Poof! It's all about population.
Mike