From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 13:49:23 -0500
Howard said:
Yes, experienced somewhat the same thing. I'm new to beekeeping and it
almost made me think again about this job.

Howard I have been around bees most my life and at times involved in large
scale beekeeping so will try to help.

>Second hive was a little more aggressive, perhaps alarmed by the first
hive.

You could be correct as one upset hive can upset many. When you move on to
the next and bees from the first are bouncing off your veil the new hives
guard bees react.

> I managed to get whacked about 10 times and it seemed that no amount of
smoking myself could mask me.

Walk away a short distance and let the situation calm down (if possible) and
try and figure out what is upseting the hive such as lack of smoke, a large
amount of venom odor ,etc.

>The third hive, located about 20 feet from the other two, was a nightmare.

When the situation keeps escallating you need to consider alternatives
instead of pressing on. Taking a break is often an option for the hobby
beekeeper.

>When I pulled the top brood box, they went nuts. Instead
of guzzling nectar and honey, like they should, I became their target and
got whacked about 30 to 40 more times in about 5 minutes.

By now we are talking a huge amount of alarm odor in the area of YOU.

>I did the though the bushes, zigging and zagging, but they wouldn't leave.

If you do not think I am on track why wasn't your helper taking stings?

>After they calmed down, even after removing the stingers and smoking
myself, I couldn't get within 30 feet of the hive. Every time I got with in
range, they'd come after me en masse.

 If you do not wash your bee suit your next visit will be similar!

>The other beekeeper got whacked only 3 times. But she's more experienced,
doesn't carry the extra weight I do and I was doing the work.

When was the last time you washed your bee suit? I have had hired help
beekeepers show up to help me and when we get to a bee yard they keep
getting stung while I receive not a sting. I keep an extra suit around for
help which can never think of washing the bee suit.

>We stopped after buttoning up the third hive. I'd become light headed,
possibly from so much venom in so little time, perhaps a little from heat
exhaustion and adrenalin rush.

The above situation has killed more than one beekeeper. Beekeeping is
supposed to be fun for the hobby beekeeper. I only wish to help the
situation from repeating itself Howard as we need  every beekeeper we can
get.

Aggressive bees are around but all bees can be aggressive when they want to
be.

Bob