From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 22:49:34 -0700
Okay.  How about this idea?

Requeening is one of the toughest jobs in beekeeping and often invoves an
interruption in brood rearing plus a lot of work for the beekeeper.
Sometime it does not work and results in queenlessness.

Why not do it in the winter when little, if any brood, is being reared?

Around here, when the temps get down below zero C -- 32 F, the bees get
into a tighter and tighter cluster.  At some point, they almost do not
move at all and when you lift a lid, all they do is buzz a bit and extend
their stingers.  After a while they will break cluster if you persist, but
otherwise -- in early winter, they will ignore you completely.

Here's my plan: get some queens from NZ or Auz and sneak out some winter
day and quietly lift the wrap, peel back the pillow and drop a queen on
the cluster.  Close everything up, and leave.

As far as I can see, the bees are all pretty dopey and won't bother to
investigate the queen until things warm up.  By then she will be one of
the gang.

I'd like to try it with about 50 *marked* queens.  All I need is a breeder
to offer to send me some and I'll give it a shot and check success in the
spring.

Benefits?  The hive starts spring with a new queen available, and any
hives that have gone queenless will be requeened.  I imagine some hives
will prefer the old queen, and some the new, but all should have good
queens.

Allen