From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2018 16:57:55 -0400
> At the beginning (1989) was Aaron, Tom Sanford, etc....

But 1989 wasn't the beginning.  As I remember, Ed Southwick at Brockport
College fed Bee-L to everyone via Bitnet as early as 1984  maybe 82.  They
dialed up and uucp'ed via RIT, and RIT was well-connected to several other
sites.

I think 1989 was when Bee-L moved from BitNet to Listserv (or maybe
Majordomo, I forget).  There was an echo set up, where messages were still
"broadcast" to the non-subscribers on either BitNet or UseNet as many such
mailing lists were echoed out "to the public".

I guess the archives from the BitNet days were not moved over to the new
server.

This was back in the day when my email address was ...!att!unix!jim  ("bang
paths" we called them).  There wasn't DNS back then, so there were no domain
names.

Regardless, I was reading Bee-L for quite a few years before presuming to
post, as I always think it best to listen for a good long while before
speaking.