From:
Mike Bispham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 2010 03:23:45 EST

In a message dated 20/01/2010 23:51:43 GMT Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
 writes:

"How do  we know they are non-resistant?  Non - resistant to what? Are
they
all to be presumed identical in their inherited resistance   mechanisms?"

Chris
Chris,

I think what manwithbees has just said covers much about your first
questions.

I said in the post that I was using varroa 'as the main problem, and a
marker'.  So resistance to varroa is what I meant.  With such  resistance of
course you also gain resistance to all the disease organisms  vectored by the
mites.  But the point was general. The key  to health is being adapted to
the local environment - whatever that  takes.  We could take a broader
approach and talk about capability to  thrive unaided in the local disease
environment (in this case the  US).

No, the Aussie bees cannot be presumed identical in their inherited
resistance mechanisms.  But I think that if the Aussie bees have not been  very
carefully bred to be fitted to the environment into which they are  imported,
then the combination of basic biology and our knowledge of the  very tough
US environment tells us they will be very likely  to fail in that
environment.  To the best of our knowledge  the only bees currently surviving unaided
in the US are those that have  naturally adapted to the current environment,
or been carefully bred to cope,  and/or chosen from stocks known to be able
to do well there.  Period.   To think that bees taken from a varroa-free
environment might do well  in the US is simply extraordinary.  At the very
least we should demand  evidence that they do thrive, and do not undermine the
defences of local  bees.

Since mating is uncontrollable, importing and maintaining bees that are
very likely to be relatively defenceless against the local predators, can  be
predicted (by the basic biological understanding of inherited traits, and/or
 the slightest acquaintance with the principles of stockraising)  to
undermine the efforts of local bees - whether wild or apiary - to build  and
maintain health defences.  What we know of the recessive nature of  the genes
involved tells us that this effect is very powerful, easily disrupting  the
delicate natural acquisition of defence mechanisms.

Mike