Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2006 19:22:53 GMT
>>The 'problem' with queens because of the use of Fluvalinate (and
Coumaphous)is really the 'problem' with drone fertility.

I've heard contaminated wax also leads to more frequent queen supercedures.  Either way, if the chemical is just wax-soluable, by what mechanism does it affect drones [and queens]?  It needs to come out of the wax and enter the insect.  Also, drones are typically raised months after Apistan treatment while resident queens are present during the treatment and afterwards.  Drone infertility is a good indicator of a problem it seems.

I've never used Apistan but somehow don't see how queens are more immune than drones...  Folks have written that replacing the entire wax in their hives has resulted in much improved health of the bee population.

Perhaps Apistan levels in contaminated wax are not fatal to bees (and humans...) but chronic ailments seem a real risk.

Waldemar