From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Oct 2009 14:24:49 +0100
Ari

> Evaporation depends on temperature. The weak colonies are cooler and
evaporation is slower.

Agreed.  We find that the outside temperature is far less important than the
amount of brood present.  This is particularly noticeable when we bring
colonies back from the heather.  In most years they have plenty of brood and
thymol evaporates well despite lower outside temperatures.  This year the
heather (and other) colonies had far less brood than usual in August and
September because many shut down early due to the unusual weather
conditions; consequently, thymol has been noticeably slower to evaporate.
There is no problem where a small colony with good brood is housed in a nuc
box, but when in a full-sized brood chamber it is as you have said.
Best wishes

Peter Edwards
beekeepers at stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk
www.stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk/