From:
Ivan McGill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 1997 09:26:00 PST
>Hi Everyone,
>
>I'm looking for plans or a supplier for a bee boom or lift which would go on a
>flat bed or large pickup for lifting hives in and out.
>
>I'd prefer one that is removable since the truck is used for other purposes
>too.
>
>Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.
>
>Kris Bruland
>Member of Mt. Baker Beekeepers Association
>Bellingham, WA  U.S.A.

Hi:

Some years ago I got a plan for a boom loader for a pickup truck. It was
from the University of California, Department of Agricultural Engineering,
College of Agriculture, Davis, Calif. Called Plan No. C21-1 Bee Hive Loader
for Pickup Truck.

What I did was modified it for a Nissan flat deck pickup. Put the boom
bracket in the middle of the deck on the back and bolted from the bumper to
the deck. With my pickup I can take 12 to 16 hives to a yard. I also have
the hoist modified with a small truck winch with the battery in a box just
ahead for the boom bracket with wires to the hoist up the boom with this I
have a hand held controller for the winch. With setup I have not needed
stabilizers on the back of the deck, but if you feel safer use them. I have
found that I did not need any help moving my bees when I wanted to move
them.

I also have a small cart built like a wheel barrel only with forks facing
towards the back. The forks can then slide under the back of the hive but
can be built to lift from the side. The tire is a ordinary wheel barrow
wheel with air not hard rubber and can be used over fairly rough terrain.
With these two pieces of equipment I need no help at all.

The cart can be used to moved up to 4 supers with frames not full of honey
just empty and can be used for numerous tasks. I got this idea from a local
oldtime beekeeper.

Ivan