From:
Paul Cherubini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Dec 2010 10:37:35 -0800
randy oliver wrote:

> My main question to the List is whether all agree that
> the feeding of spiked/unspiked pollen each week for
> 9 weeks during a pollen dearth would be an appropriate
> method of exposing colonies to the pesticide.

Randy, nationally, the corn acreage (and associated clothiandin usage)
is highly concentrated in northern Iowa, southern Minnesota
and northern Illinois:
http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae78/18R-C/cornmap.jpg
My understanding is the corn grown in that area sheds pollen
only for a 7-10 day period in July.  I am not aware that a "pollen
dearth" exists in that region in July that might tend to cause the
bees to gather corn pollen.  Does anyone even have a video
of bees in a corn belt State gathering corn pollen?  I searched
YouYube and couldn't find any.

Bottom line is I am wondering just how bees in the corn belt
could be significantly exposed to clothiandin contaminated corn
pollen on a landscape scale and over a multi-week period?

Paul Cherubini
El Dorado, Calif.