From:
Mea McNeil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 10:31:07 -0700

>NED KELLY & THE CITY OF THE BEES, by Thomas Keneally (author of
>"Schindler's List"), is "a story of how Ned Kelly spent a summer in a bee
>hive,
>
>    I found this fantasy charming and suitable most likely for children 8
>years and older.
>
>Adrian M. Wenner
I have just read this Australian children's book, courtesy of Dr. Wenner,
and recommend it also.  Some sections are very charming, and overall it
gives a much better feeling for the life of bees of any children's book
I've seen.  The pen and ink illustrations are superb.  Other story books
are: The Magic School Bus Inside a Beehive by Cole, Gran's Bees, by
Thompson.  A delightful classic is The Bee Man of Orn by Stockton
(illustrated by Maurice Sendak).
A story book replete with egregious errors is R.L. Stine's Goosebumps: Why
I'm Afraid of Bees.
Among the numerous scientific bee books for children my favorite is The
Fascinating World of Bees by Julivert (Barron's).