From:
Scot McPherson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2007 20:02:17 -0500
>You have to add another factor which is yield. Most commercial outfits
>out produce their organic counterpart. Interesting to see if the same
>goes for beekeeping. Seems it should since you limit the forage area and
>type of forage

Strange, organic beekeepers report an increase in forage without the bees
having to travel as far. Seems to me that bees that have to travel less
distance burn less fuel in their gathering. Seems to me this equates to
greater yields. Not to mention the greater variety of forage which the small
cell bees enjoy. Evidenced by beekeepers who have seen new colors of pollen
in their hives when they switch from large cell beekeeping to small cell
organic beekeeping.

>There is nothing wrong with organic farming. I practice it, but as a
>gardener, not a make-your-living-from-it farmer.

Two of my bee yards are on an organic beef farm, the farm also is a "century
farm" also, they seem to be doing just fine in the "Make your Living from
it" perspective. I would say that a century farm could very well be
considered sustainable.

Scot McPherson
McPherson Family Farms
Davenport, IA