From:
Tony Bloor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 21 Mar 1998 08:25:51 +0000
Hi

I have recently tested my colonies for the presence of Varroa using
Bayvarol strips, unfortunately, all four hives were infected. 48 hours
after the strips were introduced the test trays showed a drop of 10, 10,
6 and 52 dead mites respectively. I presume from these figures that at
present this is a comparatively light infection.  24 hours later I
examined the trays again, this time no mites were found. I reckon any
infected larvae present, should emerge over the next fortnight, along
with their unwanted guests!  As per the instructions, I will leave the
strips in for the full six weeks, to catch the young mites as they leave
the cells.  I intend to monitor the additional drops over the above
period.  However, I have a couple of questions:

Is it possible to estimate how many of the total adults are killed
within that first 48 hours?  I was talking to a long standing beekeeper
a few days ago who suggested virtually all of the emerged adults would
be killed during this time.Over the next two weeks a majority of the, at
present, capped mites will be eradicated as they emerge.

Of the minority still present, after the fortnight, these presumably
will be the ones exhibiting signs of resistance to Varroacides.  Is the
effect of the chemical on these mites cumulative during the following
four weeks of treatment to the point where they can no longer tolerate
its effect, or is length of exposure immaterial in these cases as they
are resistant, period?

I would like to consider trying Dr Rodriguez method of control, however
in the UK the Government appears to be adamant that Bayvarol is the only
legal chemical solution at present. So I may try drone trapping.

Apologies for the length of the posting.

Regards

Tony
Staffordshire, UK