Date:
Thu, 28 Apr 1994 22:19:00 CDT
Jean-Marie -
If you are looking for an answer from an American small-time
beekeeper, I am happy to tell you how I handle my 12 (or so) hives.
I am in the farm fields of northern Illinois.  I collect from
75 to 200 pounds of honey per hive.  It varies a lot by year and by
hive.  I use much of my honey my self and keep my family supplied.
I don't often sell my honey, but do barter for produce and
preserves... or what ever someone has to offer.  I only produce
liquid honey and extract it myself.  It is strained, but not
filtered.  I prefer pollin, propolis and the like in my honey...
at least in moderation.  I think it is healthier.  I use 1 and 3
pound jars as well as canning jars which I acquire from a variety
of sources.  I never test for water content, etc, but do mark which
hive each crop comes from.  I don't keep all my hives in the same
location, so there is a difference in flavors.

Hope this helps you.

Larry Krengel
Marengo, Illinois USA
the home of Dr. C. C. Miller