From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 2013 18:19:12 +0000
On Sep 19, 2013, at 10:06 AM, randy oliver <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Ingemar Fries suggests that nosema is more of a problem for bees at the
> cold ends of their range.  This agrees with Medhat's assessment.  My data
> also supports the cold/nosema link.

Just the opposite of the observations of

Higes:

Finally, the fact is that N. ceranae is highly prevalent in
warmer areas and its presence in the colony is very high.
Under those conditions there are many bees infected that
can be directly related to the clinical signs observed under
field conditions

Genersch:

The worldwide distribution of N. ceranae is not inevitably accompanied by the symptoms described by Higes et al. (2008a), also suggest that N. ceranae killing honey bee colonies might be a regional problem rather than a global phenomenon. The observed virulence of N. ceranae in Spain has been explained by the better adaptation to elevated temperatures of N. ceranae

Traver:

Since we found low levels of N. ceranae in the winter, winter colony losses due solely to N. ceranae seem unlikely. The fact that infection levels remained low during the winter suggests that stress from colony disturbance during sample collection had no effect on the intensity of N. ceranae infections. Also, the higher levels of N. ceranae infection during the spring and summer months may provide a competitive advantage over N. apis, which is not normally found during the summer, and thus help explain the apparent displacement of N. apis by N. ceranae.

Pete