From:
Jorn Johanesson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 01:35:49 +0200
Dear fellow beekeepers!

Normal honey harvest is now over for my part. I got two sorts of honey, one
spring honey, harvested separate and the normal summer flow, also harvested
separate. As I see it there is nothing more than waiting for harvesting the
result of the pollination work the bees have done.

Normally I start feeding when the last honey is taken, but I have tryed in
special years to  make a little more out of the bees by putting them up for
heather honey.

To go for heather honey demands strong families, because there is a big lose
of bees, they simply is worn out, and the time of year is not the time for a
big brood rearing. Because of this I already now make splits with new
queens, and start to feed them. the rest of the summer honey they take in
they will be allowed to keep, and I feed the bees 20 kg of invert sugar. The
hives I took the splits from have now time to build up and be strong for the
heather honey.

When I move the bees home, and harvest the honey I then remove the old
queen, and then combine the now feed and built up splits with the returning
families. This way I overcome the big loss of bees on the heather. If I am
lucky I can put between 10-20 kg of heather honey on top and end up with
tree types of honey, that I can sell for a lot more then if I put all
together in one bucket. Honey prices is from 4.5 to 5 US for 450g detail
packets from my door and then about 50% more for heather honey. In the shop
I have seen foreign imported honey to about 2 US for 450g

450g is standard for detail sale of honey.

Best regards
Jorn Johanesson

Multilingual software for beekeeping since 1997

hive note- queen breeding and handheld computer beekeeping software

home page = HTTP://apimo.dk
e-mail [log in to unmask]