From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2006 15:18:09 -0400
Ted said "There seems to be a general consensus that
regulations are bad and beekeepers should be free to operate as they see
fit." and "we can see from
recent posts on bee-l that the industry profile is moving towards large
migratory operations."

One needs to be careful with such generalizations.  For example, I doubt
that any of the largest 100 U.S beekeepers are members of Bee-L, yet they
surely account for a huge portion of the hives maintained in the US.

More precisely, there are fewer than five U.S. members of Bee-L that
regularly submit posts that also have more than 1,000 hives.  We should not
presume that those who do submit posts speak for even a majority of all
beekeepers who have at least 1,000 hives.

That is not to say that I do not personally subscribe to the views Ted
outlined.  I just don't think that one can take views expressed from the few
large beekeepers who  share notes on Bee-L and extend those views to very
many other large beekeepers.  Perhaps...but perhaps not.

--
Lloyd Spear
Owner Ross Rounds, Inc.