From:
Doug Yanega <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 May 1995 09:15:37 -0500
=
>Thomas W. Culliney                    *       Phone: (808) 973-9529

With any luck, Keith Waddington and I will soon be initiating a study of
pollination ecology in the Everglades, and it is one of our suspicions that
honeybees will prove to be just about the only bee that visits Melaleuca
and Schinus, the two worst introduced plants in the area. It also seems
likely that those two plants will be Apis' primary food source, so it may
be a classic case of exotic species helping one another invade. Anyone have
any literature describing other examples of such a "synergistic invasion
syndrome"? (That is, where neither exotic would do nearly as well in the
absence of the other)

Doug Yanega      Illinois Natural History Survey, 607 E. Peabody Dr.
Champaign, IL 61820 USA     phone (217) 244-6817, fax (217) 333-4949