From:
Nick Wallingford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Nov 1998 21:52:18 +1300
> From:          Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>

> Some governments which I will not name. treat all imported honey as if it
> contained Mad Cow inoculate and use health laws in place of taxes to keep
> honey from competition with their own brand of honey. Some of these
> countries even are honey export partners of the US and Europe but "free
> trade" is NOT the same as "fair trade". They feel free to trade with us
> when the price is right and see it as fair to product their own producers
> by hook or crook at all times.

The US likes to play both sides of this particular fence.  It applies
restrictions to protect the bee health of the US when it chooses, but
beekeepers like Andy would not have other countries attempt to do the
same.  No one has ever said that "free trade" and "fair trade" mean
the same as "totally unrestricted" trade.

  (\           Nick Wallingford
 {|||8-        home [log in to unmask]
  (/           work [log in to unmask]
NZ Beekeeping  http://www.beekeeping.co.nz