From:
Mike Bispham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 2010 02:32:34 EST

Hello Peter D,

[log in to unmask] writes:

It  amazes me that Brian seems to consider that all bees in Australia have
no  resistance to anything and that Mike and Yoon believe the few which are
imported to the US would have such an impact on the breeding selection work
 being done there. I'm sure that many of your notable queen breeders would
be  very insulted by that view.

My starting point is that any multiplication of colonies that does not
involve selection is part of (indeed almost all of) the problem.  If you
disagree with that premise then the rest will not have the impact  intended.  If
you follow that, you will see that the greater the proportion  of (i.e.) US
beekeepers taking care of their genetics, the better everything  will be for
everyone.  Conversely, the greater the proportion of beekeepers  being
casual with their genetics, the more the problems remain (and, in every
likelyhood, the worse things will get).  This is a beekeeper problem, not  merely a
'breeder' problem.  Both ordinary beekeepers and breeders are  causing
their own difficulties by omitting the essential step of reproducing  from the
fittest individuals.

Your criticism above is thus mistargeted.  We are not talking about  the
impact poor stock would have on breeders, but the impact it would have on  all
and any stocks it comes into contact with through mating drones.  I am  a
great admirer of the work of those US breeders developing and supplying
resistant bees.  But we cannot simply instigate a reliance on bred queens  and
nucs.  We have to raise the health of the whole population by getting  rid of
the non-resistant individuals.

The chief culprit of weak genetics is medication followed by  reproduction.
 This is not just failure to select the best adapted, but  positive
encouragement of the worst.  Here we are speaking of imports,  but the same
principles of course apply. The only bees that can be part of  the solution are
resistant bees.  Otherwise they are part of the  problem.

My first assumption was that natural Australian bees would have no
resistance to varroa, as the main problem, and a marker; and that bee breeders
would make no little or attempt to instil such resistance.  I'm happy to  have
been shown I'm wrong - in some cases.  That doesn't mean the issue is  dead
- yet.  I'd like to ask the following:

Is there any statutory requirement that bees exported from Australia are
bred to be resistant to varroa?  If not, what proportion of those colonies
exported are likely to have little or no resistance, and so tend to undermine
 the populations of the countries where they end up?

Are there any plans to encourage breeding toward resistance (and genetic
diversity) in the exporting community?  When might they be expected to come
to fruition?

(And then we'd have to talk about standards and certification...)

Is there any similar statutory requirement on the US side - that bees
entering the US have a certain level of resistance to varroa, thus avoiding
undercutting the resistance of local bees?  Are there any plans to  introduce
such a requirement?  And so on.

Mike