From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jul 2011 17:21:03 -0500
> There was no surprise due to high mite levels and
finding KBV.

How long has KBV been in Canada?

> Samples were not checked for nosema ceranae. We did not
even know at that time if N ceranae is north America. The  oldest sample
to show nosema ceranae has been around as early as late 1990's and was
analyzed by USDA was from Beaverlodge lab in the Peace River.

*If* those samples had both KBV & nosema ceranae then many *might* conclude
the combination of the two (in combination with high varroa load) was
responsible for the loss and *might* conclude could fall into the CCD
category?

> It is funny rumors. If this is the case why CCD reported across
many states. I don't believe all of these states got bees from Canada or
Hackenberg spread all of his bees across that many states.

CCD to me means little and confuses the problem. The name CCD indicates what
was in Hack's bees in Florida was new and never seen before. ALL researchers
jumped on the band wagon but commercial beeks were slow to join in and most
said PPB was the source of the problem until KBV & nosema ceranae were
found. These two were new to U.S. beekeeping but known around the world.

I have looked at a huge number of claimed CCD hives and the one common
denominator with all the hives is that all the hives NEVER fit ALL the
symptoms the CCD working group has posted. In fact only a small percentage
ever does!

In my post Randy & I were trying to figure out the source of KBV in
Hackenburgs bees and establish that our testing *before the USDA found the
KBV *that we turned up zero KBV in Florida bees and we were looking.

>The most interesting question
we are facing now is that in some hives varroa is under control after
treating hives with legal Apivar (Amitraz) strips but you see bees with
deformed wings!

You have varroa resistant to amatraz. The product has been around for
decades. DWV is most likely being vectored by 99% of mites in those hives.
You get control in the 98-99% range and you will find it hard to see a bee
with deformed wings in my opinion.

>Is this a residual of virus symptoms after varroa gone?

Varroa is NEVER gone. Beekeepers in the U.S. using amatraz report exactly
what you are seeing but never when first introduced.

I know of no place in the U.S. where fluvalinate and amatraz work as they
did in the late 80's. Those trying to still use these products get a degree
of control but seem to always observe DWV from my conversations with these
beeks.

>How long does it take these symptoms to disappear if the vector (Varroa)
is not present or at a very low level?

When you switch to another product. One has to alternate products and use
oxalic to get away from the most common virus DWV (which as I tell people
might look bad but really not such a big deal as long as varroa levels are
low and you are not seeing the more serious viruses).

Enjoy talking to you Medhat! Wish you were head of our USDA bee research!

You have the ability few researchers posses which is being able to explain
issues in ways most beekeepers can understand!

I might add that I have never heard a Canada beekeeper say bad things about
you and only praise you!

bob