From:
P-O Gustafsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 2004 08:45:34 +0700
> <>From: Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>

Sorry for the late reply Peter, I'm spending winter in Thailand. I'm on
a commercial level and it makes things a little harder.

> <>
>
>>...using a proper starter made as described here:
>>http://www.algonet.se/~beeman/research/krist-e-nf.htm
>>

>I am struggling to understand this website.  Firstly, it takes little power
>to stir honey at 15C because of the gearing - my motor is just a couple of
>hundred watts and therefore uses little power to stir, say, 5 times a day
>for 15 minutes for 3 days.

I have tanks of 3 tons...Stirring several tons of honey at low temp will
need considerable power. At least a 10 HP motor.

>However, my main problem is with the production of the 'living starter'.
>This is produced from starter that 'need not be fine grain'.  So how do you
>get from coarse crystals to a final fine grain product?  Seeding honey with
>a coarse-grained starter will produce a very coarse-grained end product.

It will not if you keep it at 10 degrees C all the time. The small
amount of coarse crystals used to start the process will not affect the
final result. They will be broken down to smaller units during stirring.
10 C is chosen because it is difficult to stir honey at a lower temp
with a low water content honey. Yes you get the fastest crystallization
at 14 C, but not the finest crystal structure. That is achieved at lower
temp where it's impossible to stir it. You can leave honey in the
freezer and will get a very fine structure, however, you will have to
keep it there for years....

But you don't need to make the starter with any crystallized honey.
Liquid honey will crystallize most of the time anyway in 10 C, but it
will take a few days longer. Once you have the starter, save a little
for next batch every time.

--
Regards

P-O Gustafsson, Sweden