From:
Rett Thorpe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 10:47:46 -0600
> A strong colony requires 35lbs (15.9 kgs) to see it through to the
> spring.

        Can anyone verify this amount of 35 lbs/hive.  I have had the
understanding that the amount needed was closer to 80 lbs
        (Maybe it is 35lbs per hive body?).  Obviously this is going to
vary with the location, I'm not looking for specifics just a good rule
of thumb.

        On another note; a few weeks ago my wife gave birth to our
second child, and she keeps reminding me that honey can be very
dangerous for infants, however she can not tell me why.  I have heard
this from others as well, but I am curious, is this true or a wives
tale?  If true does anyone know why it is harmful?

        Last note;  I want to thank everyone who responded to my
question about re-queening without finding the old queen.  Many
individuals replied (both on and off the list).  I received a couple of
methods of re-queening without killing the old queen first,  I also had
several individuals offer tips on how to locate the current queen.
Thanks to all who replied, your thoughts were very appreciated

        Rett Thorpe
        Salt Lake City, Utah
        2nd year 2 hives