From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 1996 12:41:23 -0600
I've been mulling over the suggestion that everyone pick out the best
bees in their outfit in terms of tolerating mites (and hopefully
honey production) and ship them to a central isolated location for
evaluating and breeding in a non-treated or minimally treated
environment.

I forget who first proposed it, but this is the best idea I've heard.

It has many pluses:

* Many people select for their own idea of robust

* Bee stock comes from all sources preselected

* All varieties and strains of the mites and viruses will be there

* A few scientists could oversee what might even be honey
      producing apiaries under operation of regular beekeepers

I've considered the mechanism too.  I don't think whole hives could
be transported across country two or three at a time, but the queens
could be sent for introduction at the site.

Perhaps beekeepers could donate equipment and time - flying in for a
few days or weeks at a time.

Even if resistance or complete immunity to mites is not achieved,
there might well arise a strain of bee that is capable of
withstanding the viruses and other stresses that accompany the mites.

The next problem is distribution if a superior stock is developed,
because many countries will allow bees to leave, but not allow them
to be imported.

Mites and diseases have managed to take advantage of our modern
communication and transportation systems.  Can we use these same
advances to get ahead of them?