From:
Glyn Davies <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 May 1999 21:58:36 +0100
Dear All

Two years ago I had a call to collect a swarm on a house roof.  They were agitated and spread out over the tiles.  They
would not gather into a skep or box.  I guessed they were queenless.  I took a queen from a nuc at home, caged her and
went back to the swarm.  They were all in the box in half an hour.   I took the Q back to her nuc where her bees were
already missing her loudly. As she would have scented of the swarm I rested the cage on the nuc top bars.  I heard a
quiet sound - a sort of mewing.  It took a while to realise it was coming from the Q in her cage.  The bees had gathered
round and did not seem aggressive towards her.  I released her and she eagerly walked down between the combs and lived
happily ever after.  It made me think that that mewing sound was a real glad to be back greeting.  Perhaps I am getting
old and sentimental.  But that is the story even if the interpretation is wrong.

Regards,

Glyn Davies, Ashburton, Devon UK