From:
Tom Speight <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 1998 14:16:38 +0000
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Automatic digest
processor <[log in to unmask]> writes
>It is said that fermentation is more likely to happen
>after honey crystalises than at any other time.  would some body please
>tell me why this so .
VERY simply,  honey is a super-saturated solution of sugars suspended in
water. When the sugars begin to return to a more natural (stable)
condition, the sugars (usually the glucose) come out of suspension and
it forms crystals, (or granulates). As the sugars separate the space
between the grains is taken up by tiny particles of air and water. (The
frosting seen on the side of jars).
When the temperatures are right, this is manna to the wild yeasts
present in the honey, which get to work causing fermentation (as in
baking or brewing).
The three main causes of fermentation are too high a water content in
the honey (unripe) when extracted, containers not airtight allowing
absorbstion of air and moisture from the atmosphere,- it doesn't need
much, and temperature. Honey should be stored below 50 deg F (32 deg C)
to slow fermentation.
 This is very basic but enough for your needs I hope.
--
Tom Speight