From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2012 11:44:41 -0500
>I think the key point here is the presence of the melted or snotty brood. I
>have lots of pictures of what I would call PMS or mite disease.

PMS in drought high temperature years looks different. This year is my third
drought with varroa present.

Parasitic mite syndrome is not a mite disease. PMS is the term to describe
what happens when varroa control drops. A very broad term as Dr. Shiminuki
explained . The only solution in his opinion was varroa control. "Shim" was
years ahead of his time in my opinion.

The research of Norman Carrick in the U.K. opened my eyes to changes when
varroa is present and the way the bees can handle virus when varroa is not
present.

We can split hairs over when varroa load is high enough for PMS. Both Randy
& I have agreed we have saw virus issues in hives when varroa load has not
been what we consider high (archives) BUT varroa is *still present*.

Norman kept me updated on his research and emailed me his research before
his presentation in Australia.

Thanks again for Gavin posting pictures! I believe the inspectors in the
U.K. got it right. PMS the result of high varroa load. I might add high
temps. Many of those hives of migratory beekeepers have been subjected to
very high temps both on location and in shipment. Temps under 120 F. are
ideal for varroa reproduction

Researchers are always looking for things to research. Wanting to find what
the other researchers missed.

We need to research better ways to control varroa not research PMS. *Shim*
could see no cure for PMS and nether do I!

"The only thing we need to fear is fear itself" FDR

bob