From:
"T.V. Fischer" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 1997 09:46:18 +0000
Phil Wood wrote:

> Sorry to both folks with another question regarding herbicide use, but I
> received a very aggressive sales call last night from a lawn care
> company. In brief, the salesman said:
> a.) They've targeted my street for "a lot" of lawn treatments at low
> cost.
> b.) They put down an herbicide (he thought it was "reliance"). He
> maintained it had no consequences to humans or animals, maintained he
> was looking at the sack and that it had no warnings about bees and no
> warnings about when it should be used.
> c.) They do their applications from 8:00 a.m. till dusk "So as not to
> disturb people"
> d.) They also put down a urea and sulpher compound four times during the
> season.
> I was very polite to him, and after getting the above information
> politely declined. My neighbors are, however, somewhat more "suburban"
> in their lifestyle preferences.
> Should I be concerned for my 6 hives of bees?

I doubt that the herbicide will damage the bees, but it certainly will
cut down on the valuable nectar the bees get from lawn "weeds" such as
clover and dandelions.  My lawn is full of these and I love the flowers,
unlike my neighbors's lawns, which are sterile green all summer.  Maybe
I'm not too popular with them, but I don't care for their lawns either.

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan USA