From:
David Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jun 1997 23:45:18 -0400
In a message dated 97-06-15 08:11:48 EDT, [log in to unmask] (Greg Hankins)
writes:

<< So, is there anything to this notion that sealed honey improves as it ages
 in the hive? >>

   I've never found this true.  Dandelion nectar is bitter, but, as soon as
it is capped, it is a nice honey.  I don't know how the bees work out the
bitterness.  Likewise goldenrod smells awful and tastes a bit rank when as
nectar, but makes a nice, spicy tasting honey when capped.

   As you say, if you leave comb honey on too long, it will get travel
stained.  I'd rather not leave it any longer than necessary.

   There ARE honeys that are gross and rank.  But I don't think time will
heal them.  The bees don't seem to mind getting these for their winter feed.

Dave Green     Hemingway, SC   29554
Practical Pollination Page   http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html