From:
queenbee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Apr 2006 10:25:11 +1000
> The key ingredient in honey used for wounds is glucose oxidase which, with
> enzymes, creates gluconic acid and also hydrogen peroxide when water is
> present. So the level of glucose oxidase and enzymes is the key to the
> healing activity level of the specific honey. I know that the Aussies are
> promoting their honey as superior, but wonder if we are looking at a
> matter of degree, when enough does the job but "we can make even more"
> than enough.

There is one other key ingredient and that is the antibacterial activity
that is exhibited by some specific honeys e.g. jellybush from Australia and
manuka for New Zealand.

Talking from the Aussie perspective, Capilano has had clinical trials done
with jellybush, which sells as Medihoney, and the data is out there.  The
results on things like leg ulcers are outstanding.  See www.medihoney.com.au
It has been registered by our Therapeutic Goods people and this registration
does not come lightly.

The danger I see in all this is that we make claims that we cannot sustain.
As an example, in the early days when the original work on antibacterial
activity in honey was being done, and remember that we found only one honey
to date, jellybush, as having this unique activity, we had people selling
jellybush and they had an article about the antibacterial activity of
jellybush beside the honey for sale.  There was nothing to show that the
jellybush they were selling was active and we know that not all jellybush is
active.  Not really ethical.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA
Coming to Apimondia in Australia in 2007?