Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 1995 22:27:00 EST
>I would like to feed my colonies pollen substitute to boost brood production
>to make splits. The bees start bringing in regular pollen around April 4-7,
>when should I  start to feed this pollen substitute that I purchaced from a
> bee supply store? I do not have real pollen to add to it unless I get it
>from an unknown source.
>I winter my colonies on 2 deeps should I place this pollen patty under the
>inner cover or between the deeps.
>Millhouse Farm
>Poland Me USA
>Paul Sasseville

Paul: Good thinking - don't use pollen unless you produced it yourself.  Mix
your pollen substitute patties with heavy sugar syrup to the consistancy of
stiff cookie dough.  Place the patties on the top bars over the brood.  This
will mean between the hive bodies if the cluster is in the bottom chamber or
under the inner cover if the cluster is in the top.  Try not to plug the
inner cover hole.  The bees need the ventilation.  Watch for swarming later
- the stuff really works.    Good luck this year.
Gordon Allen-Wardell
extension apiculturist
univeristy of maryland