Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 21:32:06 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
Hello all, in particular Mid-Atlantic USA
    We have had a very mild winter so far this year, and we normally have mild ones. I have been performing weight checks
for stores but have resisted the tempatation and stayed out of the hives.
    Today 70 deg. F, I went in the hives to asses effectiveness of Early Winter Apistan treatments and Fall menthol and to
make sure we were on track to begin feeding 1:1 in a couple weeks.. Let this be an alert to 'keepers in similar weather
conditions as Norfolk, VA area. 3 of the 6 colonies in this yard were already working on their second (at least) brood
cycle. Normally we get a maple bloom about this time, the trees I checked have still not bloomed. Either I have selected
poorly or the (surpise!) early dandelion bloom is providing nectar as well as pollen. I had just finished this Spring's
management plan and then found I needed to begin reversing today. The weakest of the 6 had eight (8) count'em, 8 frames of
brood and eggs. This is weeks ahead of schedule and will necessitate splits to prevent swarming despite regular eversing.
Once the maple bloom is over we have a nectar but not pollen dearth so be prepared with lots of syrup to keep those huge
colonies from starving.
    Mid Atlantic Coast 'keepers, check your colonies to ensure they are not ahead of you. If you have the opportunity to
make bees and make honey, this may be the year to do it.

Thom Bradley
NC Certified Beekeeper,  Chesapeake, VA
Tidewater Beekeeper's Association

ATOM RSS1 RSS2