From:
Paul Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Sep 1998 07:28:19 -0700
At 17:09 -0700 9/11/98, Andy Nachbaur wrote:

>Yes, California did have agricultural inspections stations 40 years ago on
>most of the boarder highways and they would ask if you had any fruits and
>vegetables, don't recall if they asked about honey but do believe judging
>by some of the smart ass people I have come across working at these
>stations myself that is about the level of question they would ask if you
>had a young girl with you.

The stations are still there. They always ask about fruits and vegtables
but never about honey.

The best story I ever heard about the California Border Inspection stations
was printed in one of the free airplane publications available at ariports.
An Air Force Pilot, it seems, had grown tired of the delays when traveling
from his base in Arizona to Los Angeles. He came across a truck load of
overripe watermelon and loaded it into bomb bay of his Douglas single
engine prop fighter bomber (This was a Post WWII design, later used in
Vietnam, I forget the name), and dropped the load on the "Welcome to
California" sign next to the border inspection station from a high speed
low pass.

On one of his later trips to California, when the inspection officer
noticed his uniform, he related the story. They were not sure whether the
plane was one of ours, or a foreign country, and theer were watermelon
seeds growing from the sign clear to the river.

Paul