From:
T & M Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 1999 20:17:12 PDT
Bob wrote

> Does anyone know of a substitute for Paradichlorobenzene to control wax =
> moths?  I live in the Caribbean where this product is not available.  US =
> suppliers will not, or can not ship it outside of the USofA.

Have you thought about using cold temperatures to control your wax moth.  Here in Australia, it is common to use old refrigerated shipping containers to put our supers in.  We then turn on the freezing unit.  I use about -5 degrees centrigrade for a few days.  This will kill wax moth larvae as well as eggs.  Other beekeepers can get their units to freeze down to -20 degrees centrigrade.

The advantage of this is that it is normally a wax moth proof unit that will keep the combs in good condition once you have killed the larvae or eggs.  However it greatest advantage is that it does not leave a residue in honey like chemicals can.  With the way the world export market is going you need to consider producing honey that is free of any residue if you want to sell on the world market..

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA