From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 5 Oct 2002 20:08:33 -0400
Mac Calhoun said:

> I just met a beekeeper who evicts the bees from his entire
> apiary at the end of each season.

> What do fellow listmembers think of this practice?

To each his own, but if he was correct, no one would
overwinter their bees.

There are a number of people on this list to whom bees
are their only source of income, and I have read thoughtful
words from all of them on the subject of "proper overwintering".
I have heard none of them suggest "eviction", and they
clearly are profitable enough to afford a computer and
an internet account, so they are not poverty-stricken.

They are also big.  Very big.  Thousands of hives in
some cases.  I see a connection here, and so should you.

I'd love to find a beekeeper near me with a willful
lack of industriousness and financial acumen similar
to your acquaintance.

I'd build some extra woodenware, fill them with some
drawn comb, and place my equipment in his "old" hive
locations, helping him to "evict" his bees into my
woodenware.

A few days after "eviction", I'd move the colonies to my
turf, feed, insert capped frames held back from the
extractor for the purpose, and apply the usual medications
as required.

In early spring, I'd feed the refugees some more, and
slide in some pollen from the freezer to make sure that
they get an early start.

Then, a few weeks before packages are shipped, I can
sell him either colonies or nucs.

Lather, rise, repeat, taking care not to laugh too hard
at a man who is willing to give away his bees, and buy
them back in the spring!

Sure, I'd loose a few of the "adopted" colonies, but not 75%.

        jim