From:
Rob Hughes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 2024 11:53:40 -0400
Interesting data and observations. Was it bright and sunny when the bees came out and got chilled?  I find that those 'ill advised sorties' tend to happen when it's especially bright and often after new snow when the reflectance is very high.  Whether due just to the light intensity or maybe polarization (?) a number of bees seemingly cannot resist the urge to come out even if it's well below freezing.

I am also interested in your Nosema experiences.  I lost a colony to Nosema this year, as far as I know for the first time.  When I have tested colonies showing excessive dysentery before I have found either nothing much, usually zero Nosema, sometimes some rust spores, although usually not a huge concentration.  Often those diamond crystals, which may or may not be a problem. Oxalates?  But this year the hive that died was restless from the start of winter with exiting bees in low temperatures almost every bright day.  Poop all over the front of the hive.  Finally they dwindled too much and a sudden temp drop finished them off.   Squash tests showed obvious high Nosema.

Do you think the acetic treatment is effective?  I am wondering what to do with my dead hive and whether it's worth trying to disinfect it or just ditch the equipment.

regards...

Rob Hughes
Upper Kingsclear, NB