From:
Steven Lassovszky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 03:03:02 -0400
All,
I had been tossing the idea of keeping bees for a while, but for all the wrong reasons had "put it off until later". Recently, while at a friend's place, I noticed some bee activity at the side of the house. "Wow" I thought, real bees! I had never seen feral bees before and I was having a blast just watching them go about their business. The owner said she had them "removed" twice before, but they kept coming back. Gears started turning, and before long I had a plan to remove the bees, and get a little money in return for the equipment required.
I spoke to several beekeepers before hand, and they were more than happy to help. They all had a different opinion on how the bees should be removed. Everyone seemed to think the hive trap/QMP was the way to go. I ended up with a couple of large supers, standard tools, suit, a QMP "tag", screen, etc. Plus a home made bee-vac. The usual equipment one would prepare her/himself with to attempt this.
After looking the situation over at the house I decided trap/QMP was just going to aggrivate things there, and being 17 feet up on the outside wall, just plain dangerous. I drilled a few holes and poked them with a small brass tube to figure where the bees were. Luckily I could get to the whole mess from an upstairs "porch". Armed with a fair amount of reading (books, BEE-L), a little courage, and a crowbar, I dove in. I started at about 1 PM and the actual removal lasted until about 7-8pm. I was super excited to actually see a drone bee, and the queen bee. She was under the last comb, on the wall. It was no problem finding her. From reading BEE-L I knew she most likely would be backing into the farthest corner. I attempted to get her in a little cage (to be marked) but she started a dash for a crevice, and I vacuumed her up. Better in the vacuum than lost in the woodwork. So, for anyone who is going to attempt this, here are a couple of my observations regarding questions I could not find an answer to, or conflicting information. This is from my very limited experience...

1. Hive trap / QMP.
Unnecessary in this situation. I broke the wall open slowly, and smoked them a little. All it would have taken was once, but in the evening the field bees started coming in "en masse". They were not interested in having the house wrecked and were a little intimidating. Mostly they were flying right at the end of the vacuum, only to be sucked in. A little more smoke in the evening. The hive trap would have eliminated this problem, working from the outside would have made it worse. The bees inside the wall gave me no problems and were just drinking.

2. Angry bees.
I was told the bees in the vac would be furious. Also, I was told they would die in a matter of hours without the queen. B.S. I wasn't about to stick my bare arm in there but they were not moving about too much or making a harsh sound. I put a damp sponge on the mesh so they could drink, and some of the honeycomb removed from the wall. That made them happy, and they were fine for almost 48 hours. Make sure to feed them and give them water often. I did have the queen in there, so that may have calmed them. Keep them as cool and dark as possible (a.k.a. garage floor). They started to chew the tube a little, and it was a concern towards the end. I double tubed them.

3 Bee-vac.
Invaluable. Be gentle. Mine is made of quickrete tubes. The long tube gives them deceleration time - plus soft foam at the end. The seals are EPP foam (indestructable foam). The center bee trap slides out and a new cartridge can be placed in there in a matter of seconds. I made the vac tube out of pipe insulation, no ridges but very flexible without kinking. Although it has an unbroken seam, I taped it so it would not inadvertantly split. It is powered by a 1HP shopvac. Not much vacuum control needed with this one. A more powerful vac would though. Minus the vac, this one will cost you about $25.

4. Installing the bees.
If the queen is in the vac just dump them in the hive. No elaborate "bee run" is needed.

5. The comb from the wall.
Cut it out as close to the size of a frame as possible.
Keep the brood comb and tie it to empty frames. Tie with cotton string and try to keep the up end of the comb up on the frames. Tie the string to one end of the frame and wrap it in a spiral. The beekeeper here says he usually gets 3 good frames from a wall hive. I got around 6 though. Fill the outer frames with foundation. The bees will remove the string from the hive, or you can cut the tops in a couple of weeks to help them out.
They will clean out any damaged brood.

6. Honeycomb.
Smash it up and let it drain overnight over a screened bucket. Give them the busted comb in a cake pan, over an excluder, in an empty super above the hive. Include your feeder bottle with a 50-75% honey to water mix. They will clean it and bring it "downstairs".

7. Other stuff.
Duct tape, buckets with covers (lots of buckets), cookie trays, stapler, **Large Bread Knife**, and a helper who can at least watch from a safe distance in case you need help or something. You can drink with a straw through your veil! There will be more bees in there than you ever imagined.
It will be alot of work, so prepare yourself for an endurance event.

So, sorry for the long post and possibly some duplicated information from other posts. These were just the questions I had trouble finding the answers to, so hopefully this can help an aspiring beekeeper, or someone who is going to try and remove bees from a wall. Correct me if you will.
The folks from the house have put up a webpage celebrating this event. Please see
www.xeni.net/bees
to see photos of the removal, bee-vac, the new hive, and the queen! (page 4 of the pictures)
Thank you for all your help in this endeavor (even if you did not know you were helping at the time!)
Steve