From:
Ernie Huber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 2010 12:36:20 -0500
Walter writes
<In my case I have two openings in the inner
cover, the size of which I can control and with baffles on the outside on
opposite ends, a draft is set up effectively removing condensationalter >

How do you determine how much to open or close the openings ? I have been
experimenting with heating hives for years and am convinced of its efficacy, especially
 in  helping bees survive the winter in a healthier condition and with less consumption
of stores. But it baffles me as how to determine a proper ventillation level.

From an overall hive heat conduction point of view it seems clear that having an
insulated hive has got to help the colony survive. If I put a 30 watt heater below
a screened bottom board, for instance, that 30 watts of heat coming up from
below, plus the cluster's own heat, might maintain an ambient temperature
around the cluster that may be ,let's say,15 degrees warmer than the outside air
temperature. But if I then insulate the hive with 2 inch foam board , in addition to
 heating the hive, that 15 degrees will go up to 30 degrees. The cluster will therefore not
 have to work so hard to maintain an inner core temperature of 95 deg. F.
                                       Ernie Huber