Date:
Wed, 20 May 1992 13:41:20 EST

> Can someone give me advice about whether or not the bottom board of a hive
 shou
> ld be painted on the inside surface?  I have not observed this being done in
 Ar
> izona but I'm told it is the rule to do so.  The books I've checked don't
 expli
> citly deal with the subject, but photographs sometimes show the inner surface
> f the bottom board as unpainted, although it is hard to be sure.  I have not
 pa
> inted the bottom boards of my own hives.  Should I?

The books I read said to paint all surfaces (inside & out).  Then
I talked to an Entomologist who happens to teach beekeeping.  He
said not to paint the inside surfaces at all.  I chose to NOT
paint any of my inside surfaces and, so far (after 1 year), my
colony seems to be thriving.
Tom Fisher                    |  "...if by chance we find each
[log in to unmask]      |  other, it is beautiful. If not,
Phone (317) 494-6616          |  it can't be helped."   -   F. Perls