From:
Bill Greenrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 2010 07:43:59 -0400
"With burlap ( being discussed) you take a piece of paper and get the paper
flaming in the smoker. ( a few seconds to flame up) and then slowly add the
burlap till the burlap is flaming and close the lid and pump the bellows.

Hopefully I will not get a beekeeper in this discussion saying its faster to
simply light the burlap?

If you are a burlap lighter instead of a paper first (before adding the
burlap) please try the paper first method before commenting.

bob"

Bob,

I started using wood pellets last year and really like them.  They do last a looong time.  I use a piece of paper, a piece of old burlap, and a handful of pellets on top of the burlap.  Smoker is always still running, when I am finished in the yard.  One thing I have noticed is a LOT of creosote and/or other tar-like residue in my smoker.  Makes opening and closing difficult.  I’ve been scraping it off around the edge with my hive tool to make the top move easier, but am considering using my propane torch to carbonize the residue.  How do you clean out your smoker?  I did a search, but only found an old post about soaking in kerosene and then burning.

Thanks,

Bill
Claremont, NH
+43.35687 +43° 21’ 25”