From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 2010 15:24:12 -0600
David said:
>>All the information I have found says that only studies that pertain to
>>the
> direct mortality of the bees have been done.

The *bulk* are LD50 and the *bulk* are studies done by the chemical company
for registration .
If you happen to find sub lethal studies please post as maybe a study myself
and others have not seen.

Randy said:
> Hardly, the EPA, and its counterparts in other countries require higher
> tier
> testing, including field trials that measure colony development,
> production,
> etc., which are the best overall indicator of pesticide effect.

However the word *require* is important. The EPA uses the studies funded by
the chemical company to make a determination on registration and pesticide
effect.

There have been times (in the archives) when the EPA has let the company
asking for registration slide on producing the required paperwork. The motor
vehicle department will not let you get by without the required paperwork.
Rules are rules!

> "Sloppy" is a word that might insult the researchers, who are generally
> independent scientists.

Insult or not many of us have found serious flaws in the way certain
research was done. It *appeared* to us as if perhaps the study was set up to
prove a hypothesis rather than do research.

This is why I wish that
> beekeepers could maintain a dialog with the pesticide companies.

The only response I look forward to is the *off record* responses I have
received. My contact within a huge chemical giant in Topeka has retired so
my information has dried up and he refuses to be a whistle blower despite my
efforts.

  I can tell
> you that Bayer actively solicited beekeeper involvement is trial design,
> but
> beekeepers did not pick up the ball and run with it, much to my dismay.

Myself and I would guess Stan would be glad to help Bayer with trial design.
Call Me!

bob