From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 08:34:14 -0600
-----Original Message-----
From:   Steve Newcomb [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
Sent:   Sunday, December 02, 2001 8:20 PM
To:     [log in to unmask]
Subject:        Re: Wax Moth control

Hello Steve  and All,
I see  problems with Steve's method. Saving money is always on our minds but what is the cost. Steve is taking chances.
Maybe the blocks will work and save Steve money but consider the *what ifs*
1. What if a consumer allergic to para di has a violent reaction and the source is traced back to a jar of Steve's honey? Lawsuit? Honey industry scandal?
2. What if  the FDA finds a label misuse. I know of a commercial beekeeper which was fined $10,000 U.S.. for making his own strips with sheep dip.
3. What if Steve poisons himself as many hobby beekeepers use most of the honey themselves or give to family and friends
4. What if over time Steve contaminates  the wax  in his hives to a point bees die and honey is contaminated making is drawn comb worthless. I have seen this very thing happen with beekeepers using moth balls instead of para di.
5. What if Steve's whole honey crop was contaminated with para di?  Whole beekeeping year lost honey not fit to even feed back to the bees.
I can think of a few other points but think you get the idea.
Steve wrote:
There was no odor after 5 days of airing.
Properly used para di odor is gone within 24 hours. If it takes five days to remove the smell in my opinion the dose is to strong. Hard to tell about the fragrance chemical but sure it is not something I would want in my food.
Steve wrote;
 There was no taste or odor to the honey that I could associate with the blocks.
Sadly para di can be detected in honey but at  a very low ppb level even if applied properly. Para Di can be detected easier  in wax and will build up in wax.
Steve wrote:
I buy the blocks by the dozen at an institutional supply store.  I pay less than 25% of the price I'd pay for a commercial bee supply version of p-Dichlorobenzene.  The only difference is that the urinal blocks have some fragrance added.
The difference is the concentration  in my opinion. From the post the concentration seems higher and the fragrance is     strong in these blocks. Not worth the risk in my opinion.
Steve wrote:
So far it hasn't caused me any problems.
I hope it doesn't as we all understand your wanting to save money. I would however go back to using the registered product  for the sake of the pure name of honey.
Steve wrote:
 I'd like to hear from others about their use of this alternative source of p-Dichlorobenzene.
I have never heard of a beekeeper using the blocks other than  Steve although we have all noted the blocks were mostly para di. Any others want to comment?
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison