From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 2002 09:20:30 -0700
Hi all

Dave Cushman wrote:
First let me illustrate the way I interpret the
positioning.

        AY  AY  AY  AA  YA  YA  YA

Thus no like pattern is either side of an inter-comb gap.

Dave, not to be discourtious, but this should be

YA YA YA YA AA AY AY AY AY

or, FOR WHAT WE USED IN OUR COLONIES:

YA YA YA YA YA AY AY AY AY AY

The main gain sees to be attention to centering on the part
of the bees and knowing where to restart following our fall
broodnest change over. Been looking at this more in the
field this past week now.

This also brings us some thoughts of a few years ago on
complaints we were getting locally from beekeepers using
Apistan in colder areas of our state. The scenario was the
bees following usage were sometimes breaking into smaller
dissegmented groups which made it hard for overwintering.

question: With Apistan and the active ingredient
Fluvalinate being a memory retardant, could it have
temproarily rest the bees shortterm memory and with the
combs out of alignment for them to augment to, caused them
to break and restart in variuos places according to were
the "Y"s of the combs came together in helter-skelter
patches?

Just some food for thought thinking back now. Any comments?

Regards,

Dee A. Lusby